Thursday, February 9, 2012

learning





It's always a little bit exciting and daunting to venture out and try something new! It forces you out of your comfort zone of what you know how do, but gives the thrill of learning a new skill or a better technique of doing something... yet at the same time opens you up to the possibility of failing, which is not exactly an exciting prospect, but when it really comes down to it is just as much a part of learning how to do something as is getting it right. They're both ways of learning how to master a skill, just different paths leading to the same destination, excepting that one is a little bit more sunny and pleasant way to travel on, than the other. :)

I've been mulling these thoughts over in my head for the past few weeks as I have really begun to put my nose to the grindstone in working on pattern drafting, and also started on a few "first-time" projects, like the weaving and the beginnings of a sweater, as in the photos.

I have a quote by an inventor up on my pin board in my sewing room that says, "An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail", that I've loved for the truthful reality of it, but of late has really become part of me. Just getting over the "dauntingness" (not a real word, I know :) ) of the idea that I may put a bunch of time and effort into these things, and then have to unravel inches of my knitting, or undo a few rows of weaving that aren't even, or have to work on 13 bodice pattern pieces before I get one that is just right, and can understand every facet of why I have to make this measurement such-and-such a length, can be a challenge to overcome, but once I do, it can be so freeing to view the "failures" as simply understanding of how not to do something, and then to continue forging on ahead with that precious and hard-won knowledge to begin again. So whether these projects come out great, or whether they look rotten, I know that I'm learning and pursuing creativity through it all. :)

Just thought I'd share these few thoughts, and hope that they can be a benefit to you in your creative endeavors as well! :) 

1 comment:

Lillian said...

Your projects are looking great Sarah!