Saturday, February 25, 2012

Mt. Vernon









Dad had a long weekend off for President's Day, so we made the most of it and took a short trip up to Virgina. Mom and I had been wanting to go to L.L. Bean's for awhile to check out what they had in person, and figured while we were in the area, we'd make a visit to Mount Vernon, too. Rather fitting because of the holiday, but not planned :)

The day was so gorgeous, and we got there at the perfect time too, as not long after a bunch of school groups came, and things started getting crowded around the mansion. We had a head start on everyone, though, and visited all the buildings, and then leisurely walked around the grounds for a number of hours, just enjoying the lovely scenery, and the beautiful day.

I think my favorite part of it all (besides being able to spend time with my family :) ) was just the view! The property overlooks the Potomac River, and stepping out onto the portico at the back of the house you're greeted by a simply stunning outlook! How I would love to wake up to that every morning! :)

On the way up and back, I was able to get a ton of knitting done on my sweater, and now it's finally finished! I realized, though when I was on the last bit that I had cast on too many stitches, so it's 2 inches too big! It was one of those moments where you feel kinda dumb for making a mistake on something so simple, ha! But all in all, I'm not too disappointed about it, as I knew that since it was my first time making a sweater and trying out the pattern that it most likely wouldn't be perfect. And it just gives me chance to make another one :)

No comments: